Get Ready for Your Walk on the Wild Side:
Now that you have planned your trip to the spectacular West Coast of Vancouver Island,
it’s time to pack your sunglasses, raingear and polar fleece (they’re not mutually exclusive here) and get ready to discover the natural wonders in and around Tofino, Ucluelet and the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.
Looking for spectacular sunsets, moss-covered secrets of the old-growth forest, the ins and outs of the intertidal zone and an ocean of more in-depth knowledge? Our select team of experienced, enthusiastic, and frankly encyclopedic guides will lead you to the answers - along with some photogenic spots, naturally...
Tailoring your nature walk(s) & tour(s) to your interests, ability, and even your timeframe is our specialty.
Here are a few options of what YOUR private hike or tour could showcase…
Half Day - Up to 3 hours
- Intertidal Exploration - Timed to coincide with the low tide, this is a discovery of the Intertidal Zone: a busy world of tidepools, marine invertebrates and giant marine algae. Learn from the best about coastal ecology and our rich marine biodiversity.
- West Coast Temperate Rainforest - Step under the canopy of our temperate old growth forest and get hands-on, mossy knowledge of its amazing biodiversity and lifecycle.
- Headlands & Beaches & You - Get your camera ready for some super-natural photographic opportunities while walking and beachcombing our vast coastal expanses.
- Storm Watching on the Wild Pacific Trail – Walk along unforgettable coastal panoramas and past the Amphitrite Point lighthouse to witness the fury of our winter storms & locations of many a shipwreck. After all, these waters are known as the "Graveyard of the Pacific".
- Into the Wild – Walk “the path less traveled” to some of our more rugged, secluded and remote coastal vistas & beaches…
Full Day - Up to 6 hours
- Two Half-Day options can be combined into a full day outing.
- Wilderness Tour to remote sections of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, Clayoquot Sound, or captivating areas near Ucluelet, including the Wild Pacific Trail.
We look forward to enhancing your Pacific Rim vacation by creating YOUR custom tour. Find out more about Long Beach Nature Tours: Email us or call 001.250.725.8305.
Experience our signature interpretative nature tours, and come away with valuable local knowledge, memories - and the refreshing mist salt water on your face!
The Storm Seeker
Offered November through February
Half Day Storm Watching Tour
You'll never love bad weather so much! This 1/2 day hike brings you up close with our legendary West Coast winter storms, a dynamic and exhilarating display of Mother Nature's raw fury.
Suit up in some quality raingear (and keep this in mind:"there's no such thing as poor weather, just poor equipment"), slip on your gumboots (or Wellies), and follow us. You will be guided to semi-protected viewing locations along the shoreline where you can witness the Pacific Ocean performing at peak force, hurling itself against the shoreline in a series of larger-than-life breakers.
On this nature tour, you will:
• Hike to panoramic headlands and beaches with a lighthouse setting
• Witness 20 foot-long logs getting tossed in the surf
• Walk to thigh-high levels of sea foam at the ocean's edge
• Witness tons of sea kelp being swept shoreward in this annual renewal exercise
• Visit the intertidal zone at its most active, and learn how its inhabitants thrive in these extreme conditions
• Walk and talk with your guide about rainforest ecology
The Wild Pacific Trail
Offered All Year
Half Day Tour
Come with us on the 2.5 km Lighthouse Loop of this exceptionally maintained trail, skirting Ucluelet's rich and rugged shoreline, with the Broken Islands Group and Barkley Sound to the East and the open Pacific Ocean to the south and west.
As per this trail section's moniker, you will pass Ampithrite Point lighthouse, one of the West Coast's last operating lighthouses, with waves crashing on the adjacent jagged rocks. This busy lighthouse overlooks an area deemed "The Graveyard of Pacific", where numerous barges, war ships, freighters and ferries were last seen within eyeshot of the Wild Pacific Trail. You will see a map of these shipwrecks along your guided walk. Impressive Ocean views abound, perfectly carved through ancient, twisting cedar and spruce trees - a photographer or painter's dream. Winter storm watching is a natural from this protected trail, and Grey Whales and other marine life can be viewed in the springtime - wild and pacific indeed!
*** This trail is appropriate for all ages and skill levels, as it involves very slight ascents and is easily accessible from its parking lot.
Long Beach Nature Tours - It’s In Our NatureInterpretative Nature Walks: Tofino, Ucluelet, Pacific Rim National Park Reserve